Via

LITERARY LUNCHEON

Wednesday 5 April 2017

Update # 4

Centre Parcs & Christmas 2016: For those people that don't know Centre Parcs is a holiday village and there a a number of them throughout Europe, and 5 England.
It has been an annual Furbank Holiday the week before Christmas and this was our 27th year (for some of us - recently not everyone could do it as the children weren't allowed out of school) But this year, as it was my last everyone had permission to come and spend time with me 😊 In total there were 40 of us, as some of my cousins came too.
We went to Longleat Centre Parcs, which is only an hour away from Poole, so the Dr said I could come back to the hospital if needed.
My cousin Laura who has a chronic back condition and I needed mobility scooters so we hired them for the week to get around as Longleat is very hilly. On day one we arrived unpacked and rested. Stayed in a very comfortable in villa with all the girl cousins, it was so fun to be together. The rest of the family were in different villas but close by. We played games together and caught up as one of my cousins had just flown from America (the first time in 7 years) over especially for the holiday.
Went swimming the next day, it was really nice to float and be able to stand and walk in deep water without wobbling and falling over. It meant that I could stand and not be weary as we caught up and also played with the children. The only down side to that was when I went out I felt heavy and wobbly and assistance. Through the week I managed to go swimming three times, somethings  in the dark. The outside pool was warm and really fun with the children. I loved being able to hold the children as we looked at the Christmas lights.
On Wednesday my cousin Amy and her husband Michael arrived from America to join us.
During the week went to different restaurants, spent time with different people and enjoyed having fun times and making memories. Had pancake breakfast at Zac and Su's/Josh and Sarah Jane's.
As a thank you to the Centre Parcs staff for being so good to our family, we sang underneath the large Christmas tree in the morning plaza. We made a great sound which created crowds of appreciative passers by, I think we should have sung for longer!
Thursday night is always our last night but a special night. Where we all gather together to have Chilli, hot chocolate and sing carols in front of the fire. It was a lovely evening with 40 of us and prepared us for the Christmas season.
Back home we had a week to make final preparations for Christmas. On Monday we took Amy and Michael to Lakeside, one of our favourite Fish and Chip restaurants, it was a special evening as we've never done this before at Christmas, the staff were lovey and accommodating supplying us with crackers and Christmas hats, and a three course menu. When we got home Amy and Michael wanted to do Family Home Evening, she showed video that she'd edited videos from friends and family she'd asked to provide a Christmas message to me.
It made my evening it touched my heart, thank you everyone for making the effort. Amy had to edit them as some of them were 6 minutes long. She has sent me all the full length videos and I'm now watching them individually. What a blessing it is to have so many friends and people who have touched my life.
I enjoyed the mobility scooter so much that Zac and Su bought me one and gave it to me as an early Christmas present so I could get out and about on my own. I managed to go along for a family walk on the prom by the beach, to Poundbury Garden Centre which does a lovely Christmas display and shopping with Natalie and Fellicity.
The Friday before Christmas Auntie Maureen organised an open day for Amy and Michael in Cheltenham. She invited me to come and meet with friends, some I hadn't seen in 20 years.  It was really lovely to catch up with everybody but the goodbyes were quite emotional.
Saturday, Christmas Eve, all the family that were coming to our house for Christmas Day were assigned different components and for Christmas dinner. So I prepared the sprouts while watching Christmas movies.
Then in the evening the family came for our traditional Roast Pork supper followed by Chocolate Roulade. We all sat in front of the Christmas tree and fire as we sang Christmas songs and carols, listened to poetry, stories and scriptures. I felt really good as it's something we do every year and it's what makes me love Christmas so much. Even though it was the traditions we have every year, that I love there were occasions as I looked at the children knowing this was my last Christmas, I hoped they would remember me. I love to see the children at Christmas. Even now as I write this it makes me weep, but Mama who is typing for me reassures me that I will always be remembered because they will have pictures, tell stories and talk about me all the time.  When looking at the Christmas tree and thinking of Centre Parcs not knowing when or how long I had left or what would happen next I had these wonderful times to  comfort me and build memories for the eternities.

Christmas morning there were only five of us for opening our Christmas stockings on Mama and Papa's bed and for our traditional gammon and eggs breakfast, followed be toast and clotted cream.
I wasn't well enough to go to church or the ward Christmas carolling at the Care home.
When everyone got back we started opening our presents. Zac and Su and their two children came a little bit later followed Jared and Genevieve and theirs. I wanted to buy gifts that people would keep and remember me by. I bought books for the children. For my two sisters Natalie and Felicity I bought them the three sisters figurines as it reminded me of us. For my parents and brothers I bought a figurine holding for-get-me-not flowers. As each gift was opened there was an outpouring of love and emotion.

We had our traditional turkey dinner that is always amazing.
Those who were here were, Grandma, Jared and Genevieve and their children, Ophelia, Ephraim, Emmanuel and Indigo, Zac and Su with Megan and Oliver, and our dear friends Alan and Tracy Au.
The rest of the day into the evening we played games, ate food and had lots of fun. More Christmas traditions and memories.
The next couple of days even though Christmas Day was over the festivities continued as Ben and Kizzy and Josh and Sarah with their two, Lucas and Jonah.  arrived. Finishing with the arrival of Nathan and Abbie, Finn, Beatrix, Freddie and Poppy.
New Years Eve Natalie, Felicity and I (on my mobility scooter) went out to buy food for the New Years Eve party. We had so much fun that night, our good friends from across the road Phil and Alison joined us for silly games and food. Again my thoughts while the evening was fun had me reflecting on the New Year that was coming knowing that it would be my last year and I wouldn't make it through all of 2017.
For the New Years meal Oliver my four year old nephew was asked to bless the food, in the blessing he said 'please don't let anyone die this New Year!' There was a faint hearted Amen.

No comments:

Followers